'The Ponderer," author of another blog - PONDERINGS FROM THE POND (http://skiatooklakeokie.blogspot.com/) blogs about songs he finds meaningful as he ponders from his place on the pond.

About Me

About This Blog

Songs mean a lot to me. In this Blog I am sharing songs that have specific meaning to me. My tastes are varied but lean particularly to Country.

The lyrics of a song have meaning to the writer. I know a song can be popular for the tune and beat. It is when the words find a connection with the heart and find a common experience in the life of the listener the song becomes a classic.

Here you will learn more about what makes me tick than you probably want to know. I also hope it gives you some pause for reflection too on joys, sorrows, successes and struggles we all face.

I'll give you the song title, album I found it on, and the lyrics. You can decide whether you want to download it from your favorite music site.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Radio Land

The recent passing of Paul Harvey got me thinking of memories about radio. The first time I can remember hearing Paul Harvey was actually in my summer visits to Grandma's in Arkansas. I listened to him pretty faithfully over the years. He was truly a pioneer with his news and comments.

But I listened to KVOO as a kid and that is where I learned to love Country music. Billy Parker had an overnight show that was really great. It kept me company on nights I woke up and lulled me back to sleep. In my teen years there was good old rock and roll on KAKC with Scooter Seagraves, Allen West and Mike McCarthy.

This song came to my mind as I reflected this week. A great song!

Song: Radio Land
Artist: Michael Martin Murphy
Album: The Best Of Michael Martin Murphy

I remember country evenin', when the sun was goin' down
Sittin' on the front porch, listenin' to the sound
While mama did the dishes daddy rolled a smoke
From a can of Old Prince Albert...his hands as strong as oak

And the sounds of the Grand Ole Opry came out of Ryman Hall
Roy Acuff played the fiddle and sang "Wabash Cannonball"
Hank Williams whispered, "I Saw the Light"
And people everywhere sat listenin' in the night

Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We all closed our eyes, listened to the band
Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We all dreamed of Radio Land

Then Wolfman Jack came a howlin' from across the Rio Grande
Layin' down the sounds that all the kids could understand
Momma and daddy were sleepin' but the kids were wide awake
Listenin' to Bill Haley rattle roll and shake
Old Jerry Lee banged on the keys and screamed, "Great Balls of Fire!"
Elivs crooned, "Don't Be Cruel", the girls swooned with desire

Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We all closed our eyes and listened to the band
Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We all dreamed of Radio Land

I remember summer evenin', late night rock and roll
Miles and miles of highway, just my radio
I remember a night when it felt so right a lover's moon above
And the songs they were playin' the night we fell in love.

Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We both closed our eyes, listened to the band
Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We fell in love in Radio Land

Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We still close our eyes and listen to the band
Out in Radio Land, out in Radio Land
We still dream of Radio Land

No comments:

Visitors Since 12/27/2008

Followers