'The Ponderer," author of another blog - PONDERINGS FROM THE POND (http://skiatooklakeokie.blogspot.com/) blogs about songs he finds meaningful as he ponders from his place on the pond.

About Me

About This Blog

Songs mean a lot to me. In this Blog I am sharing songs that have specific meaning to me. My tastes are varied but lean particularly to Country.

The lyrics of a song have meaning to the writer. I know a song can be popular for the tune and beat. It is when the words find a connection with the heart and find a common experience in the life of the listener the song becomes a classic.

Here you will learn more about what makes me tick than you probably want to know. I also hope it gives you some pause for reflection too on joys, sorrows, successes and struggles we all face.

I'll give you the song title, album I found it on, and the lyrics. You can decide whether you want to download it from your favorite music site.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, November 22, 2008

That Reminds Me of a Song

So I don't have to repeat something I have already said, you can review a previous blog of mine here: Songs are Bookmarks In My Life.

I love a good tune. And I have always enjoyed a good song. I have had a radio for as long as I can remember on my bed's headboard which I would lay awake listening to at night (Billy Parker had an overnight show on KVOO). One of the first purchases I can remember making with my own money was a stereo (Bell & Howell AM/FM/cassette/8-track/turntable).

I often find myself whistling a tune without realizing it. Maverick (and his mother before him) finds this irritating. I was in a convienience store this week and was apparently whistling because the lady at the register starting singing the song I was whistling and then told me, "I love that song!" You know, I can't even remember what that song was, but I do remember it was an "oldie."

Words mean things. Sometimes you like a song for the melody and harmony. But for me it is about the words mostly. Johnny Cash could talk a pretty good song. The song can touch the soul but the words touch the heart. I suppose we need both.

I have some of Merle Haggard's music in every form. Some albums I have in vinyl, 8-track (finally thrown away), cassette, CD, and now in mp3, VHS and DVD. Debbie thinks that is S-A-D (but come on, this judgement comes from a disco queen of the 70's who listened to the Bee Gees). But it is more than the music it is the words and experiences which caused the song to be written. That is why he is called the Common Man's Poet.

I can mark events in my life with a song from that era. You probably can too. And this BLOG will end up telling you more about me then you might want to know. But it might end up causing you to think more about yours too, if you are not careful. So, each post will have the lyrics, album, artist of a particular song so that you can purchase it if you don't already have it. The songs are about me. But they might be about you.

Song: Songs About Me
Artist: Trace Adkins
Album: Greatest Hits Vol II


Lyrics

1 comment:

Big Bob said...

Debbie the disco queen....sounds like the title of a good song thaat needs to be written. I look forward to this blog continueing for a long time.

Visitors Since 12/27/2008

Followers