'The Ponderer," author of another blog - PONDERINGS FROM THE POND (http://skiatooklakeokie.blogspot.com/) blogs about songs he finds meaningful as he ponders from his place on the pond.

About Me

About This Blog

Songs mean a lot to me. In this Blog I am sharing songs that have specific meaning to me. My tastes are varied but lean particularly to Country.

The lyrics of a song have meaning to the writer. I know a song can be popular for the tune and beat. It is when the words find a connection with the heart and find a common experience in the life of the listener the song becomes a classic.

Here you will learn more about what makes me tick than you probably want to know. I also hope it gives you some pause for reflection too on joys, sorrows, successes and struggles we all face.

I'll give you the song title, album I found it on, and the lyrics. You can decide whether you want to download it from your favorite music site.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Cabin In The Hills

On this Sunday morning I am listening to my Gospel and Christian music (as usual) while waiting for Debbie and Maverick to arise.

I like this one because not everyone will get excited by thinking of Heaven as a city of gold and a place with a mansion waiting for us over the hilltop. Some prefer the thought of a rural setting. Good song!

On this one Haggard is joined by Johnny Cash on the last chorus.

Song: A Cabin In The Hills
Artist: Merle Haggard
Album: Cabin In The Hills

[spoken]
I dreamed I saw Jesus last night seated on a mountain in the moonlight
His hands held a key to a cabin that cabin I'd dreamed of all my life

[song]
Money makes rules we have to live by
A home is just a place the send the bills
God knows why we work and what we pray for
So he's building me a cabin in the hills

Who knows he might be finished in the morning
So I lie awake and take no sleeping pills
God knows I'm not happy in a mansion
So he's building me a cabin in the hills.

I live my lonesome life down in a valley
with the factories, the rivers and the mills
Sometimes I can almost hear his hammer
'Cause he's building me a cabin in the hills

Someone has to keep the home fire burning
So I sweat and get the harvest in the field
Life on Earth won't be the same hereafter
So he's building me a cabin in the hills

I live my lonesome life down in a valley
with the factories, the rivers and the mills
Sometimes I can almost hear his hammer
'Cause he's building me a cabin in the hills

Yeah, he's building me a cabin in the hills.

No comments:

Visitors Since 12/27/2008

Followers