'The Ponderer," author of another blog - PONDERINGS FROM THE POND (http://skiatooklakeokie.blogspot.com/) blogs about songs he finds meaningful as he ponders from his place on the pond.

About Me

About This Blog

Songs mean a lot to me. In this Blog I am sharing songs that have specific meaning to me. My tastes are varied but lean particularly to Country.

The lyrics of a song have meaning to the writer. I know a song can be popular for the tune and beat. It is when the words find a connection with the heart and find a common experience in the life of the listener the song becomes a classic.

Here you will learn more about what makes me tick than you probably want to know. I also hope it gives you some pause for reflection too on joys, sorrows, successes and struggles we all face.

I'll give you the song title, album I found it on, and the lyrics. You can decide whether you want to download it from your favorite music site.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm Alive

As a young man of 24 I was fresh off a divorce and I suppose I was wallering in self pity when a co-worker remarked, "Robb, we all have our crosses to carry. Its time you get off yours and start carrying it." That remark has stuck with me for almost 30 years as it was that short exchange that started me to thinking about how true that was (I was actually trying to come up with justification for my self pity but could not).


As I have faced other hurdles since that time - two job layoffs, a business failure, disappointments in others' choices, my own plain old stupid choices, and cancer - I have learned I am not the only one who has struggles. And I have learned to be thankful for what I have today.


I just bought this album this fall and this late summer or early fall and this song struck a chord.


Song: I'm Alive
Artist: Willie Nelson
Album: Moment of Forever


It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard
Everybody's got their share of battle scars
As for me, I'd like to thank my lucky stars
That I'm alive and well


And it'd be easy to add up all the pain
And all the dreams you sat and watched go up in flames
Dwell on the wreckage as it smolders in the rain
But not me, I'm alive


And today you know that's good enough for me
Breathing in and out's a blessing, can't you see?
Today is the first day of the rest of my life
And I'm alive and well, God, I'm alive and well


Stars are dancing on the water here tonight
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight
This boat has caught it's wind and brought me back to life
Now I'm alive and well


And today you know that's good enough for me
Breathing in and out's a blessing, can't you see?
Today is the first day of the rest of my life
And I'm alive and well, God, I'm alive and well

No comments:

Visitors Since 12/27/2008

Followers