'The Ponderer," author of another blog - PONDERINGS FROM THE POND (http://skiatooklakeokie.blogspot.com/) blogs about songs he finds meaningful as he ponders from his place on the pond.

About Me

About This Blog

Songs mean a lot to me. In this Blog I am sharing songs that have specific meaning to me. My tastes are varied but lean particularly to Country.

The lyrics of a song have meaning to the writer. I know a song can be popular for the tune and beat. It is when the words find a connection with the heart and find a common experience in the life of the listener the song becomes a classic.

Here you will learn more about what makes me tick than you probably want to know. I also hope it gives you some pause for reflection too on joys, sorrows, successes and struggles we all face.

I'll give you the song title, album I found it on, and the lyrics. You can decide whether you want to download it from your favorite music site.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Lucky Man

On this day people tend to reflect on the past year and make some resolutions about the new one. I'll do some of that today.

What I know is that no matter what losses my 401k has sustained in the WorldCom blow up in 2002 and the meltdown of 2008 I still live better than most people on this planet. Got a good measure of health, a mom and dad still with me, two sisters who are funny (and fun to be around too). My wife will have a special place in Heaven for putting up with me all these years. The kids are struggling to make their way in this world and I am proud of their efforts and accomplishments. Ol' Maverick is a hoot to watch grow and mature. I'm a lucky man.

Substitute the "Cowboys" for "Bengals", "two sisters" for "a brother" and "iPod and music" for "rod and reel" and this is really about me.

Song: Lucky Man
Artist: Mongomery Gentry
Album: Some People Change

I have days where I hate my job
This little town and the whole world too
Last Sunday when the Bengals lost
Lord it put me in a bad mood
I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got

But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old truck's still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, a good woman's lovin'
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord knows I'm a lucky man

Got some friends who would be here fast
I could call em any time of day
Got a brother who's got my back
Got a mama who I swear's a saint
Got a brand new rod and reel
Got a full week off this year
Dad had a close call last spring
It's a miracle he's still here

But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
a few dollars in a coffee can
My old truck's still running good
My ticker's tickin' like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, good woman's lovin'
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord knows I'm a lucky man

My old trucks still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, a good woman's lovin'
And even my bad days ain't that bad
Yeah, I'm a lucky man

I'm a lucky lucky man

No comments:

Visitors Since 12/27/2008

Followers