'The Ponderer," author of another blog - PONDERINGS FROM THE POND (http://skiatooklakeokie.blogspot.com/) blogs about songs he finds meaningful as he ponders from his place on the pond.

About Me

About This Blog

Songs mean a lot to me. In this Blog I am sharing songs that have specific meaning to me. My tastes are varied but lean particularly to Country.

The lyrics of a song have meaning to the writer. I know a song can be popular for the tune and beat. It is when the words find a connection with the heart and find a common experience in the life of the listener the song becomes a classic.

Here you will learn more about what makes me tick than you probably want to know. I also hope it gives you some pause for reflection too on joys, sorrows, successes and struggles we all face.

I'll give you the song title, album I found it on, and the lyrics. You can decide whether you want to download it from your favorite music site.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Something You Can't buy

It is good to remember at ALL Christmases but we might need a real reminder this year in light of the current financial challenges the nation is facing. The best Christmas present to your family is to just be there.

My parents have always made our Christmas gatherings a special time that as I look back I realize money could not buy. This song is a great reminder of it. I cannot listen to it without a moistened eye.

Song: Something You Can't Buy
Artist: The Statler Brothers
Album: 20th Century Masters - Christmas Collection - The Statler Brothers

The greatest Christmas present
Is something you can't buy

When World War 2 was over
We trimmed the tree alone,
But we saved the star for Daddy
Cause Daddy was coming home
We bought Momma a new dress
We bought Daddy a tie,
But he brought us each something
That money couldn't buy

The greatest christmas present
Is something you can't buy
I've talked to Pa this evening
For an hour on the phone
He said don't spend a lot on presents
(now son don't you spend a lot on presents)
We just want you to come on home
(you know all me and Momma want is you all to come on home)
But we'll buy Momma a new dress
And Daddy another tie
And we'll spend lots of time together
And that's something you can't buy

The greatest Christmas present
Is something you can't buy

Some day - and I know it's coming
When all of us won't be together there for Christmas
(I hate to face it but we won't always be together for Christmas)
You know Daddy's seventy-three
(it seems hard to believe but daddy will turn seventy-three)
And to pay back all he gave me
I can't but I will try
I'll pass along to my kids
Something they can't buy

The greatest Christmas present
Is something you can't buy

1 comment:

Trisha said...

The words are nice. I can't figure out how to listen to it though.

Visitors Since 12/27/2008

Followers